National Geographic 14 Day Explore Costa Rica G Adventures Tour
An ecotourism dream journey, exploring the full spectrum of Costa Rica and it’s biodiversity. From pristine rainforest and beaches, to extreme adventures. See the world as if through the lens of a National Geographic photographer!
- Prices subject to availability and dates. There may be fluctuations at some times, including further discounts. Feel free to contact us here at Twister Travel for the best possible deals!
- Duration: 14 days
- Start/Finish City: San José to San José
- Service Level: Upgraded. Quality accommodations and more inclusions than on other G Adventures tours, like meals, private transport, and activities.
- Physical Grading: 2 – Light. Light walking and hiking suitable for most fitness levels. Nothing too challenging.
- Travel Style: National Geographic Journeys. Greater exploration, insider access, and the freedom to roam – all without sacrificing comfort.
- Trip Type: Small Group. Small group experience – Max 16, Average 12 passengers.
- An Ecotourism dream, exploring the full spectrum of Costa Rica and it’s biodiversity, from the pristine beaches, to extreme adventures!
- Educational,interactive and meaningful
- National Geographic collection, which is designed to take you deeper into the cultures and habitats of the places we explore
- Upgraded service level
- Rejuvenating and inspirational locations visited
- Arrival transfer
- Sea Turtle Conservancy Experience, Tortuguero
- Lecture from a researcher at the Monteverde Institute
- Tortilla making and home cooked meal in La Fortuna
- Monteverde Institute lecture & Reforestation Project
- Mi Cafecito Coffee Cooperative Tour, Sarapiquí
- Boat tour and wildlife viewing in Tortuguero National Park
- Guided nature walk in the Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve
- Guided excursion to Manuel Antonio National Park.
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
Hotels (11 nts), rustic jungle lodge (2 nts)
MY OWN ROOM UPGRADE FROM $1439.00: If you’re travelling solo and would prefer to have your own private room throughout your trip, select this option during the online booking process.
13 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
Just ask us about booking extra tours and adventure add-on packs to secure your place in some of these experiences, before embarking on your tour!
Tour Bookings and Enquiries
DepartureSan Jose Costa Rica
Day 1 San Jose
Day 2 San Jose to Tortuguero
- Tortuguero National Park Guided Night Boat Tour Cruise the canals by night to see an array of animals who are more active in the dark, this includes the caiman.
- (Breakfast/ Lunch/ Dinner)
Day 3 Tortuguero
- Included: Breakfast/ Lunch/ Dinner
- Guided Kayak Excursion Spend some extra time in the world of the amazing wildlfife, viewing from the edge of your kayak. (Approximate cost is US$35)
- Turtle Nesting Night Excursion (seasonal) - A night mission to the nesting grounds of the green and leatherback turtles on their beaches. There is a possibility of seeing females lay eggs, viewing from a discreetly hidden location. (Approximate cost is US$50)
Day 4 Tortuguero to La Fortuna
- Staying at the Hotel Monte Real (or similar).
- Included: Breakfast/ Lunch
Day 5 La Fortuna
- Lost Canyon Adventures Canyoning tour of waterfalls, swimming, trekking through rivers, daring hanging bridges. See the environment from a POV just as the local wildlife do! (Approximately US$90)
- Gravity Falls Waterfall Jumping Descend deep into a canyon, in a secured harness. Throw yourself into the raw nature just as a skillful thrill-seeking monkey would! Trek through rivers, and cross a daring hanging bridge. (Approximately US$125)
- La Fortuna Waterfall Swim Access a waterfall close to La Fortuna via a jungle walk, a taxi or horse ride to the gates. There is a fee before reaching the falls 500 steps below. Immerse into cool waters and sounds of nature. Be sure to look out for the irridescent blue morpho butterflies here. (Approximately US$15 plus)
- Hanging Bridges Tour (around 2 hours) A 3km trek through winding trails at the foot of the Arenal Volcano. The adventure incorporates 16 bridges of varying lengths and heights. Suspended high in the rainforest canopy, there are advantageous angles for a long lens to reach out to the exotic birds, monkeys and sloths hanging high above gorges, and cascading falls. (Approximately US$66)
- Stand Up Paddle (Lesson and Tour) On Lake Arenal, under the majestic volcano. See the wildlife while you glide the lake, and enjoy some fresh tropical fruit. (Approximately US$64)
- Mountain Biking Opt for an independent or guided cycling exploration. (Approximately US$79)
- Baldi Hot Springs Awaken your senses and let the naturally heated outdoor pools soak your muscles while, you kick back doing little but breathing the pure rainforest air. Appreciate stunning volcano views as you soak. ( Approximately US$64 )
- Adrenaline Bundle Addon! Or... grab a package for US$210, which includes: canyoning in Arenal, and adventure through the mountainous rainforest region, descending massive waterfalls (half day); Ziplining 137 metres high in the rainforest canopy, Monteverde (half day)
- Accommodation at the Hotel Monte Real (or similar)
- Breakfast plus Dinner provided
Day 6 La Fortuna
- Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge Tour A trip north to the wildlife refuge which is close to the Nicaraguan border. This outing comes complete with a guided tour by covered boat, through one of the world's most important wetlands. Host to vast diversity of plants, birds, reptiles, fish and mammals you will be in awe of. (Approximately US$60)
- Kayaking Paddle surrounded by beauty which extends beyond eye's reach in all directions, upon the pristine waters of Lake Arenal. This is Central America's second largest lake with over 300 species of birds having been sighted here. Howler monkeys add their lively presence to the shores, with other fascinating creatures perhaps appearing.
- Stay on at Hotel Monte Real (or similar)
- Breakfast included
Day 7 La Fortuna to Monteverde
- Acccommodation - El Establo Hotel (or similar)
- Breakfast included
Day 8 Monteverde
- Ziplining Monteverde 3-4 hours Zip in amazement in a cloud forest wonderland of exotic birds and plantlife, high in the forest canopy. (Approximately US$50)
- Monteverde Hanging Bridges Take a hike amidst criss-crossing hanging bridges in the Monteverde Cloud Forest. A rainforest region which is home to 90% of all the organisms in the forest, ranging from 1000's of bird species, to small animals, amphibians and insects.
- Stay on at El Establo Hotel (or similar)
- Breakfast supplied
Day 9 Monteverde
- Monteverde Horseback Riding Ride through private mountain trails spotting birdlife, such as toucans, bellbirds, colourful parrots. (Approximately US$45)
- Monteverde Butterfly Garden Visit Residence of 30 butterfly species, exotic giant bugs, caterpillars, insects. Features also a leaf-cutter ant colony. (Approximately US$15)
- Monteverde Fair Trade Coffee Plantation Tour Get involved in picking, and observe the customising of the coffee bean from plant to cup - at Cafe Monteverde. The Santa Elena coffee co-op prides itself on sustainable practises. They recycle processing water, use coffee pulp as fertilizer, send plant fibers and husks for paper-making. (Approximately US$35)
- Staying another night at El Establo Hotel (or similar)
- Breakfast included
Day 10 Monteverde to Manuel Antonio
- Accommodation is at Hotel Villa Lirio (or similar)
- Breakfast included.
Day 11 Manuel Antonio
- Accommodation is at Hotel Villas Lirio (or similar)
- With an included breakfast.
Day 12 Manuel Antonio
- Surfing Manuel Antonio National Park 1-5 hours Experience the surf at the beaches near Quepos and Manuel Antonio, with their well-shaped beach breaks. Take a lesson, learn tips and techniques to get on top of the waves and flow. (Approximately US$55 - 77)
- Horseback Riding Manuel Antonio Trail ride through the tropical forests and it's cool refreshing rivers, at one with your horse and part of this beautiful landscape. An opportunity to see toucans in the trees, and all the wildlife that comes out to play. Take a swim under the beautiful waterfalls. (Approximately US$69)
- Snorkelling Manuel Antonio Book a special boat trip or hire a mask and fins on Playa Espadilla. Dive in and explore the reefs amidst volcanic rock formations in the warm clear waters. Join swimming schools of tropical fish and float through the underwater world. (Pricing varies)
- Kayaking Manuel Antonio National Park Kayak trails amongst a maze of mangroves of the Damas Island estuary, home to various birds, snakes, crocodiles and monkeys. The fresh water rivers connect with the sea, which tempts kayakers with an even more adventurous experience out in the waves. Explore nearby islands, or stay along the shoreline for a scenic paddle where you may see various seabirds, and jumping fish. (Approximately US$69)
- Whitewater Rafting Manuel Antonio A thrilling rafting experience of Class II - IV rapids. The best equipment plus maximum safety are guaranteed, with bonus fresh fruit, snacks and drinks. (Approximately US$75-98 )
- Manuel Antonio Catamaran Tour - Manuel Antonio Indulge in a cruise along the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica aboard a 100ft catamaran! More like a floating island of fun than a boat, equipped with water slides into the sea. Sail with playful dolphins, swim and snorkel. All with the surrounding jungle life of Manuel Antonio.
- Accommodation Hotel Villas Lirio (or similar)
- Breakfast is included.
Day 13 Manuel Antonio to San Jose
- Meals included: Breakfast.
Day 14 San Jose
- Meals included: Breakfast
How to PackWe recommend using a backpack for your convenience, or a medium-sized suitcase if you prefer. A daypack is also essential for carrying everyday items. Space is limited on transportation, so there is a limit of one main piece of luggage per person. You will be responsible for carrying your own luggage. Some suggested items to take include: Essential Items
- Binoculars (optional)
- Camera/ or phone with camera
- Cash, credit and debit cards
- Day pack
- First-aid supplies
- Hoodie or sweater
- Outlet adapter
- Personal entertainment
- Reusable water bottle
- Small travel towel
- Toiletries (Preferably biodegradable)
- Watch or alarm clock
- Waterproof backpack cover
- Windproof rain jacket
- Costa Rica Water Activities:
- Drybag (Will help keep cameras and essentials dry)
- Sport Sandals or Water Shoes (if you plan to do waterfall rappelling and/or rafting)
DocumentsYou need to keep hold of:
- Flight info - Costa Rica will not permit entry into the country without proof of a departure ticket to next destination. If you are travelling through a few countries in Central America, you will need to show proof of your itinerary and a departure ticket from your last destination. Please print the itinerary and voucher and bring it with you.
- Insurance details
- Vaccination certificates
- Visas - currently no visa is required for up to 90 days, if travelling from Australia, please check locally or just ask us if you are unsure for your country of origin.
Local CultureCosta Rica is as friendly as it is scenic. Take normal precautions in cities, particularly when out at night.
For Your Health
- Take along some Mosquito repellant for your own convenience - natural organic products may be better, and are available for purchase locally.
- Any regular medications, asthma inhalers, vitamins.
- Yellow Fever - It may be required to show a Yellow Fever certificate upon entering Costa Rica and Nicaragua if you have travelled to certain countries with Yellow Fever risk prior to arriving.
- For in-depth health and safety data, (including up to date vaccinations info) please visit https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/americas/costa-rica Or your local equivalent.